Business Development Modules
- Module 1 - How to become a MBE/DBE/WBE and/or SDVOP - This module will assist you in becoming certified as a minority, disadvantaged and/or woman or disabled veteran business enterprise. Your business must become certified with the governmental entities in order to participate in certain set aside projects
- Module 2 - Construction Bidding/Estimating/Strategy - Learn the essentials in preparing and compiling bid documents and estimates—this will also include blueprint reading, takeoffs and much more
- Module 3 - Accounting and Tax Preparation - Proper and accurate accounting and tax preparation is a must for a successful business. Learn the requirements of documentation and recording of financial records; including fiscal year accountability and IRS essentials
- Module 4 - Doing Business with Illinois Tollway, DOT, City of Chicago, Central Management Services, Illinois Capital Development Board throughout the State of Illinois and various other cities/states within the country - Learn how to do business with governmental entities that provide the majority of contracts let within the country. Proper documentation is essential in acquiring contracts—preparation of documents for access to capital
- Module 5 - Small Business & Technology - This module will address the importance of technology in promoting your business, ideas and promotion of your product and services through social media, crowd-funding, website development, and so forth
- Module 6 - Introduction to Advantage Illinois - Learn how to access capital through various funding sources; including small business loans, micro-loans, venture capital and other viable sources
- Module 7 - Career Development/Biography, Resume & Interview - This module will help you in creating a professional resume’ including interviewing techniques to assist the individual in career development and growth potential.
The USMCA Business Development Modules are most effective in assisting business owners in reaching new levels of maturity while removing traditional barriers that consistently prohibited business growth and expansion.
Receive your minority certification to grow your business and receive greater procurement opportunities!
The Entrepreneurial Training Institute (ETI) is offering this program to 20 highly motivated and committed new and existing business owners that desire to become a certified minority business enterprise/WBE with the City of Chicago and various other Illinois agencies. This is a technical assistance and mentoring program which offers leadership to business seeking business growth and procurement opportunities. Eight Sessions on Wednesday evenings ONLY.
Participants will receive the following:
- Phase I – Participant Orientation/Intake (120min). Both face to face intake and written solicitation will be utilized. Basic business questions and scopes of interest will be ascertained prior to acceptance. Senior USMCA officials will undertake this initial process and prepare their written assessments and evaluation for program acceptance.
- Phase II – Document review and initiation of application. USMCA has all of the existing online applications for minority certification and we undertake the process of gathering pertinent documents at the second intake session prior to preparing the rough draft of the application.
- Phase III – Final preparation for certification submittal – Review of rough draft of Certification documents assembled in response to the first one on one session
- Phase IV – Now What? Getting ready for contract with the City of Chicago. A one on one session-mentoring with the clients on seeking bidding opportunities, understanding pre-bid conferences, importance of networking and follow up after pre-bid conferences, and bid preparation and submittals. Students will receive brief overview of post bidding formalities and the importance of debriefing with firms that are unsuccessful bidders.